The final meeting of any lodge or chapter is usually a well-attended occasion, for all the wrong reasons, and Nelson Chapters final meeting was pretty much the same. A sombre atmosphere could be felt among the companions present but those in office made the effort to attend early for a 5:30 pm practice and to make sure the ceremonial went like clockwork.
“Consecrated on 26th August 1925 at St Marys School in Nelson, the first MEZ was Henry Holden of Barrowford, H was Thomas James Fryer of Nelson and J was Frank Stonehouse of Nelson”
The representative of the ME Grand Superintendent was Ex Comp David J Halford, PGStB, Third Provincial Grand Principal. It was David who had the responsibility of receiving the Charter and officially ending the existence of Nelson Chapter.
The First Principal E. Comp Bryon Lingard welcomed the representative and conducted the usual minutes and communications of the Chapter, and at this point, normal Chapter ceremonial took a different route with Ex Comp Bryon Lingard declaring E Comp Keith P Schofield PGStB as the First Principal, Ex Comp Schofield then reaffirmed his obligation and declared all those members in Office as Officers of the Chapter.
“Associated with Queens Jubilee Craft Lodge No 2193 the Chapter has proved to be a vibrant well-structured and supported chapter since its consecration”
A brief history of Nelson Chater was presented by Ex Comp Schofield which brought back many memories for those who have been long serving members of the Chapter. The Charter had been removed from its frame prior to the meeting and it was at this point that the representative Ex Comp David Halford received the Charter from the First Principal.
Ex Comp Halford gave a very thought provoking response and mentioned that although it was always a sad affair to close down any Lodge or Chapter, we should always take the opportunity to remember the positive memories from the Chapter and the good times that we enjoyed. He made special mention of the positive outcomes of the closing and hoped that all the companions had found or would find a new Chapter to join and to continue to enjoy Royal Arch Masonry well into the future.
“Many of its early meetings were at the Lord Nelson Hotel until a move in 1952 to Nelson Masonic Hall on Bradshaw Street. Its final move to Colne Masonic Hall being in 2014”
Ex Comp Halford then extinguished the Candles for the final time whilst Companions and visitors gathered in the South in two columns and solemnly left the Chapter room.